Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 medium (about 700 g) beetroot bulbs, scrubbed and ends trimmed
- Salad leaves (either rocket, spinach, lettuce)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) walnut oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30 g (1/4 cup) walnut halves
- 40 g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the beetroot in a baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tbs of the olive oil and toss to coat. Roast in preheated oven for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a skewer. Remove from oven and set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Cut beetroot to cut the beetroot crossways into 1 cm-thick slices or quarters and arrange on the leaves.
- Whisk together the walnut oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Drizzle the dressing over the beetroot and leaves and sprinkle with walnuts and goat’s cheese, and serve immediately.